August 31, 2022
DEPRESCRIBING IS GOOD PRESCRIBING
Sterling Hills Golf Club, Camarillo
Just as safe prescribing is an integral and effective strategy to prevent opioid use disorder, safe deprescribing is also key. In this workshop, we’ll discuss when, and how to safely and effectively taper patients from opioid usage. Join other local prescribers in a discussion on how to effectively talk with patients about opioid use disorder and how and when to refer to substance use treatment.
- Tipu V. Khan, MD, FAAFP, FASAM; Addiction Medicine Fellowship Director, VCMC
- Kyle Stephens, DO, Family Medicine Specialist, Primary Care
- George Chang Chien, DO, Director of Pain Management, Ventura County Medical Center
For more information: Ashley.Nettles@ventura.org
Prescribers are key to creating change in our community.
Thanks to exceptional local collaboration, Ventura County has seen a decrease in opioid prescribing in recent years – a 24% reduction between 2017 and 2020 – as providers have employed safe prescribing practices and increased use of non-narcotic pain management strategies.
Unfortunately, overdose deaths continue to climb, largely due to illegal fentanyl, which has replaced much of the local heroin use and is contributing to the rising number of overdose emergencies. As a concerned local provider, we invite you to join the Prescriber Discussion Series:
- Hear from local experts and discuss with peers the latest trends and best practices.
- Get provider-focused resources to reduce misuse and opioid use disorder (OUD).
- Learn the new State guidelines and latest tools for patient care and provider coordination.
Connecting because we care. For our patients and for our community.
UPCOMING DISCUSSIONS IN THE SERIES
- September 21, 2022 • 5:30–7:30pm
Person-Centered Strategies to Reduce Opioid Overdose
- May 11, 2022 • 5:30–7:30 PM
Latest Trends in Overdose: What Prescribers Need to Know About Illicit Fentanyl
- June 8, 2022 • 5:30–7:30 PM
Evidence-based Safe Prescribing
PREVIOUS TRAININGS & EVENTS
- National Rx Drug Abuse & Heroin Summit 2019
- Western States Opioid Summit, San Diego - November 7 & 8, 2019
- COAST Year One Progress Event - November 12, 2019
- National Rx Drug Abuse & Heroin Summit 2018
- Opioid Solutions Summit - August 29, 2017
- Ventura County’s Benzodiazepine Performance Improvement Project Award, CAPH/SNI Annual Conference - December 7, 2016
- Informing the Community: Plane of Pills Media Event - May 18, 2016
- Safe Pain Medicine Prescribing Policy Launched Countywide - January 29, 2015
SUPPORTING PRESCRIBERS WITH TRAINING
Prescribers may underestimate the risks of opioid addiction while overestimating painkiller benefits. The Ventura County Rx Abuse & Heroin Workgroup offers prescribers, hospitals and clinics up-to-date information and training for safe prescribing and on-site patient education. Safe prescriber education addresses the opioid epidemic by training prescribers to respond before opioids are prescribed. See the Safe Prescribing Toolkit.
When opioids are used, start low and go slow:
- Assess pain and function
- Consider if non-opioid therapies are appropriate
- Talk to patients about treatment plan
- Evaluate risk of harm of misuses
- Identify drug misuse/addiction
- Query CURES 2.0 to confirm patient information